Learn how to find the right online side jobs, promote your work, and have secure interactions with clients. Our best tips for becoming a freelancer. 💸
A 9-5 is nice, but is it your true passion? Maybe you enjoy signing off from your day job to spend your evening writing a blog. Or perhaps you’re a talented photographer in your free time. Whatever drives you, we know you have the skills to pay the bills… and then some. All you have to do is monetize those hobbies you never get tired of — in other words, start taking on side jobs.
Embarking on a side job is the perfect way to explore your talent, get a feel for independent work, and make some extra cash without quitting your day job. And if you start getting consistent traction with clients, you may even turn your part-time passion project into a full-time career.
Still, for many, launching a freelance side business seems overwhelming, even if you start small and retain your full-time job. At Contra, we understand the challenges of becoming independent, which is why we built our platform around helping creatives find the right opportunities for new ways to work.
Let’s explore how you can promote your work, find well-paying online side jobs, and ensure your clients are legit.
How to find side jobs 🕵️
The appeal of side jobs — especially side jobs that pay well — is obvious. You gain flexibility by working when you please, and you increase your financial security thanks to the extra income. Finding opportunities that offer this flexibility and security is easier when you start off on the right foot — and on the right platform. Contra allows you to connect with serious clients, and we handle some of the riskier aspects of independent business to ensure you get paid commission-free.
If you’re an aspiring freelancer, here’s how to go into the biz with a clear plan and expectations:
- Do the research: The first step on any journey as an independent is to define your services. You might be a brilliant writer, but where do you want to put your focus? Do you want to draft social media content or ghostwrite for busy professionals? Research opportunities in the specialty area you’re considering. That way, you can be sure the work appeals to you and the payment is within the range you’d expect.
- Find a remote work platform: As the creators of a platform for Independents, we understand the importance of heading into your career with solid support. Freelancing platforms provide a safe space to offer your services. Contra is an all-in-one platform that allows you to host an aesthetically pleasing portfolio, connect with clients, and manage your projects and payments commission-free. Plus, we never list jobs under $25 per hour, so you’re guaranteed to find well-paying work. We’re also dedicated to protecting you from scams and helping you find the right opportunities.
- Create a digital portfolio: Potential clients will want to see examples of your work, so don’t be shy about showing off. Now’s your time to shine! Craft a virtual portfolio with Contra, launch a personal website to host a gallery of your projects and provide links to your published work. All the information you may have once shared on paper (e.g., on your resume) should be online. You’ll be working remotely with your clients, so they need to get a solid idea of your work without meeting you in person. Want to boost your credibility? If you’ve already done freelance work, you can include testimonials from satisfied clients.
15 work-from-home jobs that pay well
We encourage you to research the niches that interest you most and best align with your skills before you launch your freelance career. To start your brainstorming session, check out some of our ideas for well-paying side jobs. On Contra, you can find clients (or, rather, get discovered) for any of these services, and you’ll never have to accept less than $25 per hour.
- Graphic designer
- Social media manager or marketer
- Web designer
- Technical writer
- Fullstack engineer
- Sound designer
- Podcast editor
- Content creator
- Frontend engineer
- UX designer
- Product designer
- Brand strategist
- Video editor
- Webflow designer
Remember, this is just a sampling of the many high-paying side jobs you can get on Contra. Check out our “Discover” page to learn more about all the possible roles out there!
Tips for choosing a work-from-home side job 📄
So, you’ve found your niche, and you’re all set up on a freelancer platform where you can build a community and find clients. What’s next? Here are a few final considerations on how to make money online:
- Consider your time constraints: Before you take your first freelance part-time job, consider how you’ll strike a reasonable balance between work and life. You don’t want to force yourself to work an all-nighter after a jam-packed day, even for good money. Do some soul-searching, and be honest about what you can comfortably and realistically take on for your side job.
- Set a realistic expectation of earnings: Take a look at the average rates for the work you intend to do, and calculate how much you stand to make in the spare time you’ve allotted for those projects. Don’t be disappointed if it’s not enough to pay the rent or go on vacation—it’s still extra cash. Over time, you can scale up, but for now, just ensure that the payout seems worth the effort. A side job should increase your quality of life, not hurt it.
- Manage your time and resources: Designate hours and a dedicated space for work. You’ll likely be performing your side job from home, so set yourself up with all the tools you need in a quiet, distraction-free area. Defining your working hours is just as important as setting aside your space. Even the hardest working part-timers still need time for social events, family and friends, and self-care. Make your own schedule and stick to it. For ideas, read up on time management techniques such as timeboxing or the Pomodoro Technique.
It’s time to make money online 🚀
Finally, you’re ready to start an online side job for extra money. After you’ve gotten your feet wet, there is still plenty more to learn. That’s where our blog, The Contrarian, comes in. Check out Contra’s platform for Independents, where we’ve made it simple to create a portfolio that shines, match with the right clients, and gets paid commission-free.
How-To: Work for Yourself | Benefits, steps, and job ideas 💼 by…