Learn how to put freelance work on a resume or a portfolio. Discover the best practices and tips to elevate your freelance career and stand out in the job market.
In today’s job market, the freelance economy is booming, and employers increasingly value the unique skills and experiences freelancers bring. And as an Independent, presenting your freelance work effectively on a resume or in a portfolio can set you apart and make you a favorite among clients.
This article will guide you through the nuances of how to put your freelance work on a resume or digital portfolio. We'll also highlight why this is important and provide practical tips, examples, and best practices to showcase your freelance experience. With these insights, you can gain a competitive edge, attract potential clients, and propel your freelance career to new heights.
What is a freelancing resume or portfolio? 🤔
A freelancing portfolio is a dynamic and captivating reflection of your professional identity. Far beyond the confines of a traditional resume, a freelancing portfolio is an immersive journey that showcases your expertise, accomplishments, and creative brilliance.
At its core, a freelancing portfolio is a living canvas where you paint a vivid picture of your skills and experiences. It goes beyond a mere list of achievements –– it’s a visual narrative that engages potential clients, leaving them spellbound by the stories of your triumphs and innovative solutions. Your portfolio becomes persuasive, advocating your unique value proposition amid a sea of freelancers.
Your portfolio also allows you to display a curated collection of your best work samples, projects, and successful collaborations. (To create a striking portfolio and promote your services, be sure to check out Contra’s digital portfolio tool.)
Why should you list freelance work on your resume? 🤩
From conveying your adaptability to highlighting your experience, your portfolio is your professional story through your lens.
Here are three compelling reasons why you should list freelance work on your resume:
1- It showcases versatility and adaptability 🥰
As a freelancer, you have the unique advantage of working with different clients across various projects and industries. This exposes you to various experiences and challenges, making you resilient and accommodating. By listing your freelance work, you demonstrate these qualities, which are highly sought after in the evolving work landscape.
2- It highlights specialized skills and experience 🤠
Listing freelance work allows you to spotlight your unique skills and depth of experience in your niche. It's an opportunity to demonstrate your competence and the value you've provided to past clients, making you an attractive prospect for potential clients.
3- It demonstrates autonomy and self-motivation 💖
Freelancing requires a degree of self-discipline, initiative, and autonomy unmatched in traditional employment. By presenting your freelance job projects, you're not just showing the work you've done but also indicating your ability to self-manage, meet deadlines, and deliver results, all valuable traits in any professional setting.
How to put freelance work on your resume: 7 easy steps 🪜
Crafting a compelling portfolio that showcases your freelance work is the key to standing out in today's competitive job market. Follow these seven steps on how to write a freelance resume and effectively integrate your endeavors and demonstrate your expertise to potential employers and clients:
1- Select your best work 💯
Begin by carefully curating your freelance projects. Choose the ones that align with the job you're applying for, emphasizing diversity in skills and industries to showcase your versatility.
2- Create a consistent resume format 🌟
Ensure a cohesive and visually appealing layout for your portfolio. Use professional design tools to present your work samples, testimonials, and descriptions uniformly.
3- Craft a captivating summary ✍️
Write an engaging introduction that provides an overview of your freelance journey. Highlight your unique selling points and set the tone for the rest of your portfolio.
4- Describe projects in detail 📝
For each freelance project, describe the client's requirements, your approach, the type of freelance work, and the results achieved. Use metrics and data to quantify your impact.
5- Showcase testimonials 🗣️
Incorporate glowing testimonials from satisfied clients to add credibility to your portfolio. Positive feedback highlights your professionalism and fosters trust with potential employers.
6- Include relevant skills 😎
List the skills you've honed through freelancing that align with the job you're seeking. Employers and clients value demonstrated expertise and adaptability in various domains.
7- Update regularly ⏲️
Your portfolio should be a living document, continually evolving with new freelance projects and experiences. Regularly update your portfolio to reflect your growth and expanding skill set.
6 best practices to follow when listing freelance work 🏅
Your portfolio plays a pivotal role in leaving a lasting impression on potential employers. To effectively showcase your freelance prowess on your resume, consider these six best practices that will set you apart from the competition.
- Highlight relevant experience: Customize your portfolio to match the job description or project you're applying for. Focus on the most relevant experiences and projects first, emphasizing skills and accomplishments that match the client's needs.
- Quantify success: Whenever possible, use specific numbers, percentages, or other quantifiable data to demonstrate the success of your projects. This could be anything from the number of site visitors you drove for a client to the percentage increase in social media engagement from your marketing campaign.
- Use clear and concise language: Make sure your portfolio is easy to understand. Avoid jargon, befriend brevity, and focus on what you did, how you did it, and what the results were.
- Include visuals: If relevant, include visual elements like photos, diagrams, or infographics to make your portfolio more engaging and visually appealing.
- Add testimonials: If you have positive feedback or testimonials from previous clients, include these in your portfolio to enhance your credibility.
- Maintain a professional tone: While your portfolio should reflect your personality, maintain a balance of professional and personal content. Ensure it looks polished and organized to leave a positive impression.
Freelance resume examples 🚀
If you still need a headstart, here are two freelance portfolio or resume samples to seek inspiration:
Paula is a brand and social media designer and strategist, and her portfolio is an engaging masterpiece showcasing her agency's brand strategy and design expertise. It immediately captures the reader's attention with a clean and visually appealing layout. The best practices demonstrated by Paula's portfolio include:
- Diverse projects: Paula's portfolio features various types of projects, each highlighting its ability to cater to different industries and brand identities.
- Clear project descriptions: The portfolio provides concise yet comprehensive descriptions for each project, detailing the objectives, creative process, and achieved results. This transparency helps potential clients understand their approach and the value they bring to the table.
Rachel Braun's marketing portfolio is a true embodiment of creativity and innovation. It’s designed to engage the reader with a personalized introduction, creating an immediate connection. The best practices demonstrated by Rachel Braun's portfolio include the following:
- Tangible results: Each marketing project is accompanied by tangible results, showcasing the effectiveness of her strategies. By quantifying her achievements, Rachel establishes credibility and trust with potential clients.
- Varied testimonials: The portfolio incorporates testimonials from satisfied clients, providing social proof of her professionalism and success. These endorsements add authenticity to her work and instill confidence in potential collaborators.
Optimize your portfolio with Contra 💓
Presenting your freelance work on your resume or portfolio in an organized, strategic, and compelling manner is essential to stand out in today's competitive landscape. By highlighting your accomplishments, tailoring your experiences to your target audience, and adhering to the practices outlined here, you significantly enhance your professional credibility and increase your opportunities.
Remember, your freelance journey is a testament to your adaptability, resilience, and entrepreneurial spirit –– it's something to be proud of and showcase effectively. Speaking of showcasing, Contra lets you take the next step and maximize your freelance career potential today. Join Contra for Independents to manage and promote their freelance services commission-free. Create a compelling digital portfolio, connect with potential clients, and take control of your independent career today.
How to Be a Mentor: Strengthen Your Skills to Help Others 🧑🏫