TikTok is a micro-video app with a huge influence on business and culture trends. We’ll discuss how to get more views on TikTok with a few simple tips.
TikTok is a social media juggernaut — as any social media manager, freelance videographer, or brand ambassador can tell you this much. The app’s importance for brand marketing is hard to overstate, but we probably don’t need to tell you that. Instead, we’ll suggest some tips and tricks to increase your views, drive your customers, and get you that perfect contract you’ve been looking for.
If you’re wondering how to get more views on TikTok, grab your phone, open that app, and prepare to boost your TikTok views into superstar territory.
All about TikTok views 👁️
Reports indicate that TikTok generated $4.6 billion in 2021. There are a lot of eyes on the platform, making it a powerful tool for any social media marketing strategy. Whether you intend to post your own content or hire an Independent creator, there are important factors to consider.
Before we discuss increasing your views, it’s a good idea to understand what counts as a view on TikTok. A firm grasp of the app's analytics will show you how to get noticed on TikTok, how to keep an audience’s attention, and what views mean for your algorithm and reach. Here’s what you need to know:
- TikTok view statistics are relatively straightforward. The second a video starts playing, it’s counted as a view. There’s only one exception: TikTok does not count views from the account that uploaded the video. A user can’t inflate the views of their own video.
- The view count does not track unique views. For example, your video may have 100 views, but that doesn’t mean 100 different people have watched it. A view is added whenever an external account watches your video, even on a repeat viewing.
- Views on TikTok are a crucial statistic. Reach, content monetization and other benefits of the platform rely on views, so it’s an essential focus area.
Increasing your views: 8 strategies 🚀
Posting interesting, exciting, and entertaining content is the key strategy to getting more views on TikTok, but it’s not the only factor to consider. We have a few suggestions to create trending videos for your page — clips that will find and retain your key target audience.
- Post valuable content. Your content should showcase your skills in fresh and original ways while retaining viewer interest. Posting about what you had for lunch may be great for Independents selling food-related products or services, but not so much for a clothing line or copywriter.
- Use hashtags. When tagging content, TikTok content creators should identify popular hashtags related to their niche. Short, precise, trending hashtags are a way TikTok helps your videos find viewers who have shown interest in similar content.
- Include captions. Many users watch TikTok in loud, public spaces and will scroll past videos that rely entirely on audio. In addition, a well-placed caption can reinforce a particular point — a great way of drawing attention to the crucial aspects of your TikTok.
- Post short videos. Although TikTok videos can last up to 10 minutes, shorter videos tend to gain the most traction. Your best bet is to open strong and get to the point quickly.
- Follow music and audio trends. TikTok provides metrics that measure trending sounds, songs, or sound effects. TikTok’s creative center allows users to see what songs or sound effects are trending. Using these at the appropriate time can make the difference between 500 views and 50,000 views.
- Duets. An excellent way to grow an audience is to duet a popular video. Duets on TikTok are common, so keep an eye out for videos that will boost your brand. A duet could involve singing along with other TikTok creators or creating a conversation between two videos.
- Promote on other platforms. Although it’s a crucial tool for marketing and promotion, TikTok doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Share your content widely. TikTok provides a share function that allows creators to post content to other social media platforms.
- Comment. It won’t take long for a dedicated TikToker to find their niche — there are countless communities of like-minded individuals. Commenting on videos, especially those of TikTok influencers who share your desired audience, is an excellent way to bring in viewers and, potentially, customers.
These are all tested ways of increasing viewership, but what about engagement? If you’re wondering how to get more likes on TikTok, there’s one vital aspect that takes a bit more prep time and research:
Posting at the right time ⏰
On a global platform such as TikTok, what does it even mean to post at the right time? Millions of active users are watching, creating, and reposting videos at any time of the day or night. Still, timing is essential. The proper time to post a video depends on numerous factors that all contribute to views and engagement.
When a user opens TikTok, the “For You” page provides videos based on their previous activity. Appearing on a user’s “For You” page means your video likely aligns with their interests, so it’s crucial to figure out when users with similar interests are online. This is when it pays to closely track the analytics the app provides.
There’s no one answer to this question that will suit all TikTokers. You may find that your target audience is halfway around the world, and you would benefit from a scheduling app to post content while you’re asleep. It takes time and research, but establishing optimal posting times can make a huge difference.
Need help? 🧭
Despite TikTok’s popularity, many Independents and business owners still aren’t savvy with the app, its algorithms, and hashtags — or social media in general. That’s where Contra comes in! If you’re looking for a professional to help with social media management, Contra’s commission-free platform for Independents can help you find a wide variety of remote opportunities.
If you're a client looking to take your TikTok metrics to new heights, our Discover feed is the best place to find a social media content freelancer to suit your company’s needs!