Ready to turn your creative talents into a career? Learn how to become a graphic designer with our step-by-step guide and expert tips.
If your traditional 9-to-5 is stifling your creativity, graphic design might be the perfect solution for unleashing your artistic brain and transforming your passion into your daily calling.
Dive into our comprehensive guide to your dreams: How to become a graphic designer. You’ll learn how to shape your digital skills, harness your love of art and color, and channel your inner entrepreneur to turn your creative prowess into a thriving, lucrative, and independent business with a bit of help from Contra.
What does a graphic designer do? 🎨
A graphic designer is a visual storyteller who skillfully combines images, words, and graphics to craft compelling narratives that communicate a brand’s message, engaging its target audiences to help achieve goals like conversion and increased brand authority.
Graphic designers use their artistic talent and technical expertise to create visually appealing designs for posters, brochures, websites, advertisements, packaging, and more. These professionals employ color, typography, and layout to help businesses connect with their customers in meaningful ways.
4 reasons to become a graphic designer 💻
There are many reasons to persevere if you’re considering a career in graphic design — a fascinating industry. An attractive option for individuals passionate about creativity, visual communication, and the design process, this field offers incredible opportunities for self-expression and potential long-term job security.
Here are four key reasons to explore graphic design:
- It’s a future-proof profession. Demand for digital content is growing, and the need for skilled designers is increasing alongside it.
- You’ll learn continually. Graphic design is constantly evolving, offering abundant opportunities for exciting professional development.
- It’s endlessly creative. A career in graphic design channels your creative energy daily.
- You can work in any industry. Many different sectors employ graphic designers; the opportunities are diverse and challenging.
Qualifications for graphic designers ✨
If you’re wondering how to become a graphic designer without a degree, don’t stress — there’s a way, with no hard and fast education requirement for graphic designers. While some clients prefer to work with creatives with a degree or diploma in design, others recognize that a great candidate doesn’t necessarily need the marks to prove their skills. Often, a portfolio of stellar work will suffice.
A few things are key to excelling as a freelance graphic designer: a passion for design, the ability to market yourself, and experience with a few skills sets:
- Creativity. Generating unique concepts is essential for success in this role.
- Time management. Juggling multiple projects simultaneously and meeting deadlines allows you to work confidently, knowing everything will be ready on time.
- Interpersonal communication. Effective collaboration with clients requires a solid ability to communicate effectively.
- Software experience. Proficiency in design tools like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign is a must.
- User experience knowledge. Knowing how users will interact with digital design strengthens the intent behind visuals.
- Design theory knowledge. A basic understanding of art, color theory, typography, fonts, and composition goes a long way.
- Copywriting knowledge. Copywriting and design go hand in hand — learning to work with copy will help to complement designs.
How to become a freelance graphic designer 🎉
Freelance graphic design is a fulfilling, independent career choice that leverages your creativity in collaboration with clients, and the sky is truly the limit for available graphic design jobs — NASA, McDonald’s, and the bakery down the street all require graphic designers to promote their products and services.
If you’re wondering how to get into graphic design, we have some advice for navigating the journey:
Learn graphic design principles 🧑🏫
Master foundational design concepts like the theories behind color, typography, and composition to create relevant and compelling work. Understanding these fundamental principles enables you to produce professional-quality designs that effectively communicate your clients’ messages and align with their brand identity.
Enhance your education 🎓
Enroll in a graphic design course to upgrade your skills and knowledge. Try online or in-person classes, workshops, tutorials, or certifications to help you appreciate and stay up-to-date on trends and techniques. It’s also a great way to expand your professional network. Knowing who’s working on what and the ability to educate on what’s coming next increases your marketability as a freelance designer.
Learn essential graphic design software 💽
Invest in essential design software like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign to kickstart your freelance business. Learn the ins and outs of these programs to stay competitive in the industry so you can efficiently execute your creative vision and produce high-quality designs.
Gain real-world experience 🌎
Tackle personal projects and volunteer at organizations and agencies to build your portfolio and hone your skills. Hands-on experience isn’t just essential for refining your techniques; it’s vital to demonstrate to potential clients that you can do what they need.
Create a graphic design portfolio 📖
Use Contra’s quick and easy Portfolio tool to showcase your best work online. A well-curated portfolio highlights what you bring to the table as a graphic designer — your unique style and skills. Browse Contra’s Discover Page for inspiration or to hire a graphic designer.
Establish your rates 💰
Establish a pricing structure based on your skills, experience, and market demand. Consider project complexity and turnaround time to ensure fair compensation for your work. Reassess your pricing regularly to account for your work experience and any changes in the market.
Offer your services on digital platforms meant for freelancers 🤝
Join the commission-free Contra platform to offer services and connect with clients seeking graphic designers. Contra offers fair pay alongside tools to help manage your freelance business easily and effectively.
Request referrals from clients 🙏
Asking existing clients for referrals and testimonials is an excellent way to grow your client base and land new business opportunities. Word-of-mouth recommendations build trust with clients, who often consider the experiences of others when selecting a graphic designer.
Tips for starting your graphic design journey 🌟
Starting your independent graphic design journey is exciting, challenging, and may even be an intimidating new experience. Thankfully, Contra’s here to help.
Navigate this new terrain and set yourself up for success with these tips from our team of experts:
- Find support in our Independent Slack Community. Join our online community to tap into the collective wisdom of experienced Independent graphic designers. It’s a friendly place to exchange advice, share resources, and build connections with like-minded designers.
- Promote your personal brand. Use social media like Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn, and other online platforms to promote your work. Establishing a robust online presence attracts clients, showcases your skills, engages your audience, and builds your reputation.
- Don’t be afraid to overdeliver. Go above and beyond for your clients on your early projects. This makes a lasting impression and develops a strong foundation for your business. Delivering exceptional results increases the likelihood of referrals and repeat customers.
Make a living out of your creativity 🤑
Contra’s a commission-free, all-in-one platform for full-time and part-time Independent graphic designers looking to manage their businesses. We put freelancers first, offering excellent opportunities for creating a portfolio and finding jobs that align with your goals. Visit our blog, The Contrarian, for helpful advice about finding jobs, setting rates, managing your time, and more.